Stay where you are and enhance your ministry. Integrate practical experience with deeper study at the doctoral level.
Increasing religious pluralism, the expansion of world religions, and the globalization of theological education call for more breadth and depth in the education of Christian leaders. Emmanuel’s Doctor of Ministry (DMin) enables ministers to integrate their practical experience in ministry with doctoral-level course work, all while accommodating their schedule. In addition to the benefits of deeper study, you will enjoy the support of fellow ministers.
- Classes are one-week on-campus residencies plus independent coursework
- Complete in as few as three years or go at your own pace
- Start the DMin at any time…see the course schedule for our next class
- Master of Divinity preferred (if you have another type of master’s degree, ask us for more details)
Emmanuel Christian Seminary at Milligan is committed to the world mission of the church. Our goal is to equip the church with leaders ready to serve the Lord in ways which are biblically grounded, historically informed, doctrinally clear, and relevant to the contemporary context.
Get ready to change lives
Each class is approximately three months of independent coursework, with a one-week on-campus residency. This provides flexibility in scheduling, while at the same time providing an in-depth program of study and interactive learning with classmates and faculty.
The DMin program consists of 36 credit hours: 15 in the Classical Core, 15 in the Ministry Core, and 6 for the Final Project. The difference between the Classical and Ministry courses is in their content and approach, not their purpose. All courses are focused on the understanding and practice of ministry. You will choose classes from the four courses offered each fall, winter, spring and summer session.
Five, 3-credit hour courses are required in Christian Theology, Church History, New Testament, and Old Testament—one course in each area and another in the area of the student’s choice.
Five, 3 credit hour courses are required in the area of Christian Ministries. One of those must be the Christian Ministry and Formation Seminar. An additional 1 credit hour course, Reading Course in Social Science Methodologies, is required. No more than three courses may be taken in any one field of ministry. The Christian Ministry fields include: church administration, church growth, counseling, clinical pastoral education, leadership development, preaching, teaching, worship, world mission, and evangelism.
Five credit hours are awarded for the written project. The project consists of the design, accomplishment, and evaluation of a ministerial program. Care must be taken to show how the project is informed by biblical, theological, and historical considerations. It should contribute to the understanding and practice of ministry in a broader context than that in which it was produced.
View all details and course requirements for this program in the Milligan University Catalog. The Milligan University academic catalog is the official, authoritative source for all academic requirements and policies. Any discrepancies in curricular requirements from other sources will default to the Catalog.
Students will need to meet the following technology requirements for their online courses:
- Broadband Connection: 256 kbps+ (Cable / DSL or better)
- A PC or Mac computer
- Microsoft Office 2010 or newer. Copies of Microsoft Windows 7 and 10, and Microsoft Office 2010 and 2013 and 2016 are available as a part of the technology fee through it.milligan.edu. If you are using a Mac, copies of Office for Mac 2011 and Office for Mac 2016 are also available.
USB MICROPHONE / HEADPHONE SET
ONE OF THE FOLLOWING OPERATING SYSTEMS:
- Windows 7 or newer
- Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) or newer
ONE OF THE FOLLOWING BROWSERS:
- Internet Explorer 7 or newer
- Mozilla Firefox 3.6 or newer
- Chrome 5.0 or newer
- Safari 4.0.5 or newer
THE FOLLOWING MEDIA PLUGINS:
- The most recent versions of Adobe Reader and Adobe Flash Player (available for free download from adobe.com)